All New Users: Read this page, then proceed to the next step and Start Training
Returning Users: We have released our new interactive format! We encourage you to choose this format that will track your module progress. If you would rather, continue with the old format.
This activity is designed to change: Competence, Performance, Patient Outcome. 9 hr(s)
Goal: To provide training to providers that meets the requirement of the federal DATA 2000 law (which includes an 8 hour training experience), in order to increase the number of providers who are knowledgeable about and qualified to prescribe buprenorphine to their patients with opioid use disorder.
After completing this activity participants will be able to:
- Expand your practice to comply with the regulations and requirements of office-based buprenorphine treatment so that you can prescribe buprenorphine to your patients when appropriate
- Relate buprenorphine’s pharmacological properties to its drug effects and understand the physiological effects of opioids and opioid treatments on patients
- Identify, assess, and diagnose opioid use disorder in your patients
- Use medical and substance use disorder history information to assess your patients in terms of suitability for treatment with buprenorphine
- Provide effective and successful treatment to your patients throughout the phases of buprenorphine treatment: induction, maintenance, and discontinuation, and deal with complications that arise
- Assess and adapt treatment guidelines to best treat your patients from specific patient populations, including those with psychiatric comorbidities, adolescents, the elderly, pregnant women, methadone transfers, and patients with pain
- Prescribe, refer, or implement appropriate psychosocial therapies for treating opioid use disorder for your patients
Modules in this Training Activity
- About Prescribing Buprenorphine v5.0
- Impact of Opioid Use Disorder v5.0
- Pharmacology of Buprenorphine and Other Opioids v5.0
- Detection and Diagnosis of Opioid Use Disorder v5.0
- Assessing Patients for Buprenorphine Treatment v5.0
- Buprenorphine Protocol: Induction v5.0
- Buprenorphine Protocols: Maintenance and Discontinuation v5.0
- Buprenorphine Protocols: Methadone Patients and Other Subpopulations v5.0
- Managing Patients in a Buprenorphine Practice v5.0
- Regulations for Office-Based Opioid Treatment v5.0
Audience and Accreditation
|AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™||9hr(s)||4/16/18||4/15/21|
Accreditation Statement: Clinical Tools, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ Designation Statement: Clinical Tools, Inc. designates this enduring material for a maximum of AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
A letter of completion for up to 9 hour(s) is available for non-physicians.
A score of 70% on the post-test is required to complete the activity.
Initial development of this activity was supported by a grant from the National Institute on Drug Abuse (#R44-DA12066).