How to Guides
Brief guides to support your office-based opioid practice:
Your patients can choose from 12 guides covering all aspect of their office-based treatment with buprenorphine for opioid use disorder.
Case-based examples used throughout the activity, highlighting patient-centered interactions. The cases have been isolated in the following documents:
- Planning to Add Buprenorphine to Your Practice – Cases
- Implementing Buprenorphine in Your Practice – Cases
- Impact of Opioid Use Disorder – Cases
- Screening and Detection of Opioid Use Disorder – Cases
- Diagnosis of Opioid Use Disorder – Cases
- Assessing Patients for Buprenorphine Treatment – Cases
- Opioid Medications – Cases
- Buprenorphine Formulations – Cases
- Induction — Initiating Buprenorphine Treatment – Cases
- Maintenance and Discontinuation – Cases
- Pregnancy, Young Adults, Methadone Patients, and Other Populations – Cases
- Problematic Behavior – Cases
- Federal Laws and Regulations – Cases
Other Frequently Used Resources for Providers
- Buprenorphine formulations – Describes the different formulations of buprenorphine for treatment of opioid use disorder. Includes Brand Names, How Supplied, Dosage, Maintenance Target Dose, and Instructions for Use.
- SAMHSA Buprenorphine Waiver Management – Find information for providers on the waiver application and management process to prescribe or dispense buprenorphine for opioid
- DSM 5 Criteria for Substance Use Disorder Lists the 11 criteria for any substance use disorder, paraphrased. Source: See the DSM-5 for the precise wording.
- Opioid Withdrawal Scales
Severalof the scales used to assess a patient’s opioid withdrawal severity. Source: Annex 10 of the World Health Organization Guide for the Psychosocially Assisted Pharmacological Treatment of Opioid Dependence
Annual Report for Providers Approved to Treat Up to 275 Patients
Providers who are approved to treat up to 275 patients must complete an annual report, including numbers of patients and efforts to avoid diversion.
- Example blank 275-Patient Annual Report form Example of a partially completed form with some tips for filling it out.
- SAMHSA Interface to Submit 275-Patient Annual Report Links to the online form.
- Medication Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorders Reporting Requirements Federal Register resource explaining the reporting requirement.
Form to Create a Customized Treatment Agreement
This online form walks you through a wide range of potential patient guidelines and office policies you may want to consider including in your office-based practice. Submit your choices for how you want to handle each situation and you will have a list to use in your practice.