1. Screen for alcohol use problems in the context of an office visit for another medical problem.
2. Provide brief interventions for excess alcohol use during an office visit for another medical problem.
3. Use motivational interviewing and coaching techniques to address patient resistance to health behavior change and to set goals.
4. Recommend appropriate treatment for an alcohol use problem of moderate severity.
Test Your Skills
- Allow the case to load and view the case in its entirety. [Please allow 30 seconds to 1 minute for load time, depending on your browser.]
- If you would rather view the case on a tablet, you can download the app in the GooglePlay store.
Alan Baker References
Babor TF, Robaina KR. The Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT): A review of graded severity algorithms and national adaptations. IJADR. 2016;5(2):17-24. doi:10.7895/ijadr.v5i2.222.
Babor TF, Higgins-Biddle JC, Saunders JB, Monteiro MG. AUDIT: The Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test Guidelines for Use in Primary Care. Vol Second edition. World Health Organization, Department of Mental Health and Substance Dependence; 2001.
Bush K, Kivlahan DR, McDonell MB, Fihn SD, Bradley KA. The AUDIT Alcohol Consumption Questions (AUDIT-C): An Effective Brief Screening Test for Problem Drinking. Arch Intern Med. 1998;158(16):1789-1795. doi:10.1001/archinte.158.16.1789.
Esteva A, Kuprel B, Novoa RA, et al. Dermatologist-level classification of skin cancer with deep neural networks. 2017; 542:115.
Ewing JA. Detecting Alcoholism. The CAGE Questionnaire. JAMA. 1984;252(14):1905-1907.
Johnson J, Lee A, Vinson D, Seale JP. Use of AUDIT-Based Measures to Identify Unhealthy Alcohol Use and Alcohol Dependence in Primary Care: A Validation Study. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2012;37. doi:10.1111/j.1530-0277.2012.01898.x.
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). Sun Exposure – Recommendations. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2016. https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/sunexposure/recommendations.html Accessed on 1/12/2018.
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). Sun Exposure – Recommendations. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2016.
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/sunexposure/recommendations.html Accessed on 1/12/2018.
NIAAA. Drinking Levels Defined | National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA). https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/moderate-binge-drinking Accessed on 7/31/2018.
O’Brien CP. The CAGE Questionnaire for Detection of Alcoholism. JAMA. 2008;300(17):2054-2056. doi:10.1001/jama.2008.570.
Orfandis NT. Alcoholic Liver Disease – Hepatic and Biliary Disorders. Merck Man Prof Ed. September 2017.
Pfizer. Select a Screener | PHQ and GAD-7. 2010.
SAMHSA. AUDIT-C. Stable Resource Toolkit, 2017. https://www.integration.samhsa.gov/images/res/STABLE_toolkit.pdf Accessed 7/31/2018.
USDHHS. Appendix 9. Alcohol. 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines. 2015.