This activity is designed to change: Competence, Performance. 3hr(s)
Goal: The program seeks to provide a foundation for health care professionals who prescribe opioids, to fully assess patients before prescribing opioids, and to prescribe them carefully and safely. The proposed training is designed to fill the practice gaps in opioid prescribing that are described below.
After completing this activity participants will be able to:
- Assess patient pain comprehensively using a systematic approach
- Categorize the type of pain involved (i.e., acute vs. chronic, nociceptive vs. neurogenic) so as to create a working diagnosis for each patient
- Safely and effectively initiate a patient’s pain treatment using pharmacological and/or non-pharmacological methods, using first line therapies if possible
- Use a patient-centered approach in evaluating patients with pain and in explaining treatment options
- Collaborate with other health care providers in a multidisciplinary approach to evaluating and treating patients with chronic pain
MODULES IN THIS TRAINING ACTIVITY
- Assessing Pain
- Treatment of Pain
AUDIENCE AND ACCREDITATION
Audience:Physicians and other clinicians who prescribe opioids
|AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™||2hr(s)||4/1/14||3/31/17|
Accreditation Statement: Clinical Tools, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA Credit Designation Statement: Clinical Tools, Inc. designates this enduring material for a maximum ofAMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
A letter of completion for up to 3 hour(s) is available for non-physicians.
A score of 70% on the post-test is required to complete the activity.
Initial development of this activity was supported by a contract from the National Institute on Drug Abuse (#HHSN271200800012C).